Tuesday 24 November 2020

My emotions prior to my living in Belgium.

As a child, I always thought about how lovely and what an experience it could be if I were to live in a different country. I thought about how wonderful it could be to learn a new language and meet new people and thought about how amazing it could be to tell my children about this experience. For this piece of writing, you have to know that my father works for the prime minister’s office and he travels every week. My father would leave the country on Sunday morning and would come back on Friday morning. 

When I was at the beginning of fifth grade my parents came into my room and told me and my sister, who was with me playing a card game, and they told me that the whole family is going to move to Belgium because of my father’s workplace request. At first, I was amazed that someone actually heard what I had said to myself (the thought of how cool it could be to live abroad) and I was very excited!! Slowly, slowly the news sunk in, and then I started to process the fact that I will be moving to another country and that I have to say goodbye to my family, friends, school, house, and Israel! I was never good at goodbyes and I absolutely HATE changes! I started to cry and started to worry about all the changes that I was going to encounter. My parents consoled me and told me that it was going to be okay and that we will go through this together as a family so I shouldn’t feel alone. That sentence really made me feel better. 


2 comments:

  1. How old were you? How long did you stay in Belgium? The land of choclate and diamonds... Can you speak French? Are you still in contact withpeople you met there? I wonder if that Brussles statue of the urinating boy is still there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in fifth grade, we stayed there for two years and it was a learning experience! I can speak broken French, but I can understand it... yes, I am very fortunate! I am mainly in contact with the Israeli people that were with me. YES! The statude is still there! I was so disappointed to see the statude because I was expecting sometheing big and it was TINY!!! It's called the Maniken Pisse, the peeing statue!

    ReplyDelete