Tuesday 3 November 2020

organization

If one asks, “what is organization?” another might answer: “when every item has a designated space”, but that is not the definition Clea and Joanna would say. 

I have recently started watching a new show on Netflix called The Home Edit. It is about two childhood friends who have opened a business in which they go to people’s houses and organize different parts that need to be organized, decluttered, and decorated in a new way. 

As an organizing freak myself, there are many things that inspired me to change the way I organize, but there were also things they did which I did not like. 

 

In every episode the childhood friends, Clea and Joanna go to two different homes to organize various rooms, such as pantries, bedrooms, closets, fridges, garages and more. In the show, the two partners followed a four step system that they have designed; Edit, categorize and label, containment, organize by how the room is used. The Home Edit is a company that is represented by a rainbow theme. Therefore, when organizing books, snacks, clothes and so on, they will always be color coded by the rainbow colors. This was something I really enjoyed in their organizational skills, especially for kids, because it does make the room more beautiful and “easy” to look at and find. 

 

Something that I found less useful was the containment stage. During this stage I do agree that things need to go in boxes and not float on a shelf because “floating objects” are what cause clutter, but when Clea and Joanna constantly take food and art supplies out of their packaging and put them in clear containers, I truly think that it is unnecessary and a waste of time. I would not want to come home and take out all of the granola bars out of the box just to put it in a different box where it might not all fit (because when they organize they fit everything perfectly without leaving extra room “to grow”).

 

Overall, I did enjoy watching the show and finding new ways to organize. Although I did find myself skipping over a lot of the talking and parts that did not entertain me, every person is different and might like to see what they chatter about in between every project. 


9 comments:

  1. Reading your post got me thinking, maybe I should watch this show and get some tips how to organize my apartment. I have a three bedroom apartment and four little children....well you can imagine how many things lying around without an appropriate place.
    It is almost impossible to keep it organized. Or maybe I just need a Clea and Joanna to come over and do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi May !
    I've tried watching the show. Same as you, I like when things are organized, but these two ladies took it to the extreme. Color labeling ?! It's too much for me :) I think the main attraction of the show and the reason why people actually might want to watch it, is the fact that sometimes these ladies visit celebrity homes. People have a tendency to be curious about famous people and there personal life.
    But you wrote such a nice review , so maybe I'll give it another chance. Thanks May,
    Have a great evening,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi May,
    Lovely review. I enjoyed reading it. I especially like your critic tinge. You do not accept everything there and know to kindly explain why it does not work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a bit of what they do. I'm also quite a freak when it comes to tidyness, but I do agree that somtimes they go to far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not like this type of content, I do not like order and organization in such a way. But it sounds like for a person who enjoys order and organization this is a very interesting program.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi May- well you defenitely spiked my interest. I could use some organization in my home...

    ReplyDelete
  7. May, after reading you review I watched two episodes - look what you've made me do!
    I still haven't seen the stage that you don't like - containment - but it doesn't sound bad. In fact, that what I do with pasta, rice, lentils etc. After opening them I discard the original packaging and move what's left into a jar. Please don't think me funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The issue of organization along with anything to do with housekeeping has assumed a new meaning in the past 9 months!!! Home has become our fortress so keeping your fort in order is basic... Personally I admire oreganization as a guiding theory, however, I do find it cold and hostile. Ideologically I believe the main issue is minimilizing but as I fail miserably in all aspects of tidiness all I can do is admire other people's organizational skills... Lidia I have seen this colour scheme organization, my niece orgenized her Mum's bookcase for her as a birthday present. This bookcase is in the living room, and now it looks like a pretty expressionist painting rather than storage space!!! It really works :0

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi May
    your review gave me an inspiration to how should i organize my home, i liked your explanation

    ReplyDelete