Tuesday 1 December 2020

Edible Aloe Vera

 

In the search for improved health and happiness, I always search for natural food supplements. I have raised my very own Kombucha, I have made  turmeric, cinnamon, ginger  balls, I have retrained my coffee grinder to powder flax seeds, I make fruit as well as green shakes on a daily basis, with or without avocado, but always with bananas, as well as carrot juice and apple juice alternately… And the list goes on encompassing my daily routine. Yesterday a friend I have not seen for several months came by. At some point the discussion turned to her recent habit of consuming edible Aloe vera and incorporating it into her family's daily consumption. She looked around disappointed not to find any variety of Aloe-vera, shamefully I

confessed that I did plant some in my previous home, and that I do know where to find some. 

Aloe vera is presently found worldwide. It is a tough plant which will grow in poor soil in hot conditions, but also indoors, and there are many varieties all tough and steady. The thick long leaves contain a gel used externally for skin irritations, minor burns, itching due to insect bites, sores, etc. There is a growing interest in the health benefits of Aloe-vera juice, but it is important to understand the difference between the varieties of Aloe vera, and remember that the type commonly used for burns is not edible. My research has led me to understand that the distinguishing features are: (1) leaf color- the edible type are dark dusty green color, not spotty. (2)The leaves are straight unlike the type with curving leaves. (3)The flowers are yellow, unlike the common type with red flowers. (4)The edible Aloe vera has wide leaves which could be up to 20 centimeters wide, these mature leaves are the ones to be eaten. (5)The older mature leaves are "spotless" unlike the younger leaves which have light green spots. The external use Aloe vera leaves will not lose their spots as they mature.

The leaves contain gel as well as latex. The gel is colorless and transparent and is the therapeutic part of the leaf. The latex is a thick yellow liquid which is found between the gel and the inner rind of the leaf. It is important to get rid of the latex since it is bitter and is also a powerful laxative causing cramps and diarrhea if taken orally, and is not considered safe for daily intake. The latex is also extremly bitter and it is used by the Aloe Vera for self defence. It is important to allow the latex is to drip off or rinsed with water. To harvest your own Aloe vera you will need a 2-3 year old outer leaf. Cut it at an angle, allow the yellow bitter latex to drain for about 10-15 minutes, cut off the serrated edges with a sharp knife, and cut the skin off the gel. Having removed the skin from the gel, the gel can be washed to remove remaining latex. The gel can be stored, frozen, liquified, or stored for up to one week in the fridge. Word of caution: do not consume the commercially marketed Dr. Fisher Aloe-vera gel.

10 comments:

  1. Thats very interesting, but why should I eat Aloe-vera? Is it healthy? Is it tasty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I an familiar with Aloe-Vera as a plant that is very beneficial for skin health. What are the benefits of consuming it ? What does it taste like ? Are you supposed to eat it raw ?
    Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am really impressed! No way I could do this... What are the health benefits?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Benefits of drinking aloe:
    hydration- ideal way to prevent dehydration since the plant is very watery
    Liver function-aloe is hydrating and rich in photonutrients
    Constipation- aloe helps regulate heathy bacteria in the gut
    Nutritional value- packed with vitamins and minerals
    Heartburn relief
    Optimization of digestive system
    However... the Latex is better and its flavour gets into the leaf itself... so drink it with apple juice ot some other sweetner...

    https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-aloe-vera-juice#1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I have tasted aloe and didn't like it at all.
    I once bought a drink that contain aloe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lilach, I think that taste is something you aquire. My son thinks that coffee is horrible and he cannot fathom its popularity. I recall that evolutionary stage, but I have grown to love coffee. I am trying to repeat the process with aloe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really surprised with this information, I use aloe Vera to moisture the dry skin , I never thought that it is also something that you can drink.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aloe Vera holds a lot of meaning to me, not least because it's on the cover of my first book :)

    I have no doubts about its health benefits but the whole process sounds rather labourious. Is there anywhere we can purchase a ready-made extract of the edible variety?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought of trying Aloe vera as a drink, but I saw a bottle of organic Aloe Vera drink in nature shops ( I always wanted to try, but now after reading your post, I'll do it!).

    I do use Aloe vera for my skin and hair. So, If you out of natural leaves, I recommend you to buy from a site called iHerb - a 99% percent of Alow vera gel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Evelin, try it. They always make these drinks tasty to cover up the bitter aloe vera flavour..

    ReplyDelete