Saturday 28 November 2020

Chanukah is just around the corner




Did you notice the weather has changed? Hot sweaty summer nights have gradually turned into cool, breezy evenings and I have pulled out some extra blankets from the closet’s top shelf. For me it is officially winter, which means Chanukah is just around the corner. It’s my favorite holiday, which is always associated with sweet childhood memories.
I grew up listening to and speaking multiple languages, as my parents were new immigrants. Along with the joy of building a family in Israel, my mom has remained attached to the life she left behind, in Casablanca, Morocco. She would not miss a single opportunity to share stories of her early years. My mom’s childhood memories seemed endless and she would oftentimes impart them to my siblings and myself. I remember all of us being enchanted, listening to her excited voice, as she spoke with sparkles in her eyes. My mom’s stories sounded like a magical oriental fairytale, taking place in a distant space and time. She would go about and describe with great detail, using rich colors and vivid sounds, all sorts of events that would come alive glowing in our small living room. No one could stop her, nor interfere; we were all guests at those magnificent celebrations alongside our young mother. Of course these were always special occasions to enjoy some sweets, so mom would treat us to hot Sfinge, that we would deep in honey and chew with great pleasure while listening to her stories.

Sfinge are the ethnic version of the famous Chanukah Sufganiyot. They are made of special dough which yields gorgeous fried doughnuts, crispy from the outside and fluffy from the inside. According to the Moroccan tradition, Sfinge are delicacies served at special family events.

It’s getting cold outside. Indeed, Chanukah is just around the corner. What is your favorite holiday?

In the attached picture at the top, my own home-made Sfinge; The ultimate sweet tooth satisfiers. Here is a link to an online recipe, should you wish to try them out:

https://www.carine.co.il/foody_recipe/%D7%A1%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%A0%D7%92-%D7%9E%D7%A8%D7%95%D7%A7%D7%90%D7%99/


3 comments:

  1. I think your mother's connection to her home is amazing and it's lovely and probably great fun that she shares it all with you. I find tradition fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doughnuts are definitly my most hazardous seasonal downfall, I can easily eat them on daily basis amounting to an addition of up to 800 calories. On good days I consider myself lucky not to have to deal with a tray of fresh fried yunmmie goodness at home, since I will undoubtably handle the situation singlehanded and gobble up way more than my allowance of 800 calories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom make sfinge too! It is delicious.

    ReplyDelete